When it comes to growing plants in an apartment or urban setting, complexity is definitely not the key. With the urban lifestyle comes a lack of free time to waste on overly complicated systems. Why spend extra time and effort on something that has already been simplified and streamlined. The AeroGarden Seed Pods provide a simple hydroponics setup for growing a huge variety of flowers, herbs, vegetables, and other plants.
Simplicity at its Finest
Just because you want to begin a new gardening phase in your life might not mean that you want to get your hands dirty or learn a whole new skill set. Well with these seed pods you won’t have to. Whether you choose to use the pre-seeded Pods or opt to seed you’re own pods all you have to do to “plant” your selection is place the pod into the systems base and you are all done.
With the new setup that AeroGarden has incorporated into its hydroponics system, the hardest part will be deciding what you want to grow. Each seed pod rests in one of the seed locations in the base water container. Once loaded the seed pod is placed into the based container it is conneceted to the water delivery system. They provide a variety of options of prepackaged kits or a “Grow Anything” Setup.
The Complexity of Simplicity
The simplicity isn’t in its use. Each seed pod has been designed so all you have to do to begin growing the plant of your choosing is place it in the water reservoir. The complexity is in its design. A singular seed pod is composed of 4 purpose specific pieces.
- Grow Basket – The grow basket provides the framework of the whole setup. They are made of a flexible white plastic. The lower half is made up of bars to hold the sponge in place while allowing the circulation of water to provide nutrients. The baskets upper half is cylindrical and has a lip around the top opening to lock it into the reservoir and provide a seal for the label and dome.
- Sponge – The sponge sits in the center of the seed pod and provides the medium that will support your plant. Each sponge is made from pure Canadian Sphagnum Peat. These sponges provide a soil-free, no-mess, base for your plants root system.
- Label – The label adheres to the top rim of the grow basket and serves four main purposes. Firstly, the label provides exactly what its name suggests, a location for identification information. Secondly, the label secures the grow sponge into the basket. Thirdly, it helps to keep moisture’s levels high within the seed pod for increased root strength. And finally, it reduces the amount of light that reaches the sponge which reduces the amount of algae growth that’s occurs.
- Dome – The dome locks onto the top of the grow basket over the label and sponge. The clear plastic bubble creates a miniature greenhouse for each seed pod. The domes are only used for the germination stage of your plant and even though they are only useful for a short period they are integral. The greenhouse effect that they induce provides the warmth and moisture need to germinate your seeds.
These four pieces all fit together into a neat little package about 2 inches in diameter at its widest point and about 5 invest including the dome. The only thing that varies from kit to kit or plan to plant is the seeds located within the recessed region of the sponge.
Ready Made Pod Kits
The seed pod kits come with not only the seed pods themselves they also come with a bottle of Liquid Nutrients and a Grow Guide. The nutrient rich liquid is all your plants will need to thrive throughout their life cycle and the grow guide clearly tells you how much and how often to “feed” your garden based on what you are growing.
The kits currently offered include:
- The Italian Herb Seed Pod Kit
- The Pesto Basil Seed Pod Kit
- The Gourmet Herb Seed Pod Kit
- The Romaine Seed Pod Kit
- The Red Heirloom Cherry Tomato Seed Pod Kit
- The Salad Greens Mix Seed Pod Kit
- The Fresh Tea Seed Pod Kit
- The Salsa Garden Seed Pod Kit
- The Mountain Meadows Flowers Seed Pod Kit
- The Chili Pepper Seed Pod Kit
- The Sweet Bell Pepper Seed Pod Kit
More Kits are being produced as this company continues its growth and I am excited to see what they come up with. The existing pre-made kits have been beyond easy to grow, maintain, and harvest.
Grow Anything Seed Pods
One of the biggest issues I’ve found with the pre-made grow setups available on the market is the limited varieties of plant selections offered. Almost all companies offer the basic herb and tomato packages and a few others go as far as to offer specific meal suggested grow companions. No matter how creative a company gets with there plant selection. There will always be a limiting effect on the variety of plants you can grow by only offering set seed pod kits.
The AeroGarden Grow Anything Kit solves this issue by offering a blank medium for you to grow any seed of your choice. All you have to do is select the variety you wish to grow, insert the seed into the recessed seed location in the center of the sponge. Once the seed pod has been loaded its time to begin growing just as you would with the pre-made kits. Lock in the seed pod and fire up the hydroponic system, you’ve just planted your very own seed.
Now that we have reviewed this product and given it our stamp of approval we wish you all the luck with your gardening venture! You are now on your own on deciding “What to grow?” This might be one of the hardest and most inspiring problems an indoor gardener faces. AeroGarden has helped urban gardeners create a more innovative and successful way of gardening indoors. From their user friendly design and large variety of seed sets, to their Grow Anything Seed Pods AeroGarden has nearly thought of everything, now all that’s left is you. So get out there and find some new combinations to grow and harvest, liven up your home garden with greater variety and enjoy the mental and health benefits urban gardening provides.
Please leave me a comment below if:
- you have any experience with any of these products
- you agree or disagree with any of my recommendations
- you know of any superior products that I should try out next
- you have any extra information you would like to share with the Apartment Growers Community